Classic terminals, if you must, with thoughtful UI. macOS only.
🏗 It has many features.
(I cannot help but feel superstitiously that a python API for a terminal is a security hole.)
If you are using other OSes, read on.
simple terminal aims to have less lines of code than anything else and as few extraneous features as possible. This is the only
Kovid Goyal made a terminal with c inner loops and python UI extensibility called kitty. It’s not famous, but probably worth checking since Kovid is a powerhouse. OS/Unices.
terminator seems to be an acceptable default option for a pure native GNOME app without many frills.
Alacritty is a GPU-accelerated terminal editor that aims to draw text real fast. If that was your primary problem, fear not. Also, what is your world?
terminus supports some HTML graphics, and appears to work-ish.
Designerly graphics-friendly terminal aims to reinvent terminal protocols! Has a vision statement! However it’s dead in the water.
Some cool features
- Smart token-based input with inline autocomplete and automatic escaping
- Rich output for common tasks and formats, using MIME types + sniffing
- Asynchronous views for background / parallel tasks
- Full separation between front/back-end
TermKit is not a…
- …Web application. It runs as a regular desktop app.
- …Scripting language like PowerShell or bash. It focuses on executing commands only.
- …Full terminal emulator. It does not aim to e.g. host ‘vim’.
- …Reimplementation of the Unix toolchain. It replaces and/or enhances built-in commands and wraps external tools.