Users’s guide to hues and the magic of sensing an infinite spectrum with only 4 types of light sensors in the human eyeball, and to the difficulties of reproducing that magic for print and RGB display. A case of dimensionality reduction, one of histories more lengthily studied.
- Phillip Ball on the weirdly fascinating world of paint pigments and why greens fade.
- Robert Simmon’s fascinating introduction to colour for NASA
- Design for hackers does colour theory: Why Monet never used black and you shouldn’t either.
Design for non-designers. This is indeed the original what color is the bikeshed problem. Naturally enough, there are too many options.
Maximally distinct colours
Informative colour maps
- ColorBrewer: Color Advice for Maps is a classic
- Kenneth Moreland on colourmaps for scientific visualization. See also his Why We Use Bad Color Maps and What You Can Do About It
- colorbox is a colour gradient/palette design tool.
Color in Inkscape
Colour in imagemagick
Colorspace conversions are hidden in imagemagick.