I have now convinced myself that just when the world needs dynamism and innovation we are instead spending our time trying to extract rents from the landless. The resemblance of this system to feudalism is troubling me.
Ongoing notes in that theme here.
- The Forgotten Philosopher Who Can Fix Our Economy
- Construction Physics’s Brian Potter on Real Estate, Property Rights, and Negotiation
- UC Berkeley and America’s Scarcity Mindset is a fascinating document of how California institutionalised NIMBY-scarcity
- Serfing the Future? is a pro-suburbs, pro-remote-work take on housing ownership in face of rising prices. There are some good ideas in there, but they are not for me personally since I find suburbs tedious.
- Georgeism rebadged as tax reform: A change to America’s tax code could fix the housing crisis
- Alan Kohler: Soaring house prices have changed society for the worse
- Climate Valuation: Climate Valuation’s range of products provide individuals and commercial users quantitative insights into the impacts of climate risk on the value and insurability of residential property.
- Australian families are giving up on the suburban dream, but are new apartments up to the job?
- Oddball alternative model: Charter Houses
- Housing Medallions
- In How I save money Sam Bowman argues against buying houses for reasons I mostly agree with, except that I do not think he sufficiently accounts for downside risk of being a landless peasant in a landed gentry society. If you intend to remain in, e.g. Australia, this is worth considering.
- George on Housing Hubris
- The housing theory of everything
- Inside Burj Al Babas, The Abandoned $200 Million Turkish Ghost Town
- The wealthy are hoarding livable homes as climate change makes land uninhabitable
- Does Georgism Work?, Part 1: Is Land Really A Big Deal?
- Book Review: Progress And Poverty, a century-old classic on how landlords cause poverty.
- Guy Rundle: how to fix the housing affordability crisis
- Jan Turowski on Schrebergärten.
- How gentrification benefits long-time residents of low income neighborhoods
- Fortress of Doors
- Particular Virtue: What’s Wrong With The Land Value Tax? (incentives of the land-owning elites are to destroy it)
- $8000m housing tax dumped by state government
- Ryan Geddie, Essay Contest Winner: A Common Heritage
- Coby Lefkowitz, Why Every Main Street Looks The Same
- Coby Lefkowitz, A Call To Build A Better World
- The Housing Crisis Is Breaking People’s Brains